Saturday, December 20, 2008

Symbolism is important but it's not everything

I have received some email from people who are rather irate over the selection of Rick Warren to speak/pray at the inauguration and I would like to ask these folks to reconsider their position.  

While I am not in favor of Rick Warren -- or any religious observances in our government’s affairs, for that matter -- I think it is important to hold a broader perspective.  First, we supported Obama because "he could reach across the aisle."  I find that it is easy to be bipartisanship as long as that means "the other side agrees with us" but it' something else when we’re the ones making compromises.

Obama has been very open about being a religious person.  Much of America sees itself as religious, if not Christian and there has been a rather vocal religious faction that remained outside Obama's tent. In my mind, picking Warren is a symbolic gesture to prove to "those who [he] has yet to earn their support"  that he will be their leader too.  

For me, too much is at stake to throw the agenda baby out with the ceremonial bath water.  In fact, I'm hoping that this is the first attempt to bring these people into Obama's tent and convince them that he isn't so threatening. Our country is too divided for him to immediately tack to the left -- it would only serve to galvanize the electorate around the poles.  In fact, I think Obama is moving very prudently in his selections and, in general, the bulk of America is becoming more comfortable with him, not less. Unlike Bush and Cheney, he is not a radical and this can only help his agenda. (Yes, I think Bush and Cheney were radical in how their political philosophies -- they were just well hidden.)

Regarding Obama’s agenda, he has not deviated from the broad policy goals that we all supported during the campaign and with a broader base of support, he will be more able to enact that agenda.

I think the worst thing we can do at this point is to abandon our support over this symbolic but mostly meaningless, in my opinion, decision.  I don't care who prays or not at the inauguration as long as we get the laws of this country reformed and have a just government again.  America is, generally speaking, a right-of-center country as much as I wish it were otherwise.  However with time and exposure, I think America can learn that the left side of the spectrum is not such a scary place.

Our supporters were so instrumental during the campaign that I would hate for our movement to lose this support.  I hope we can all find the will and space to work within our communities to build the support so Obama can govern and enact the legislation that we hope to see.

Please don't give up the hope so soon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree, Chip, and you've stated this so well. I don't think the choice of Warren in any way implies that Obama agrees with or sanctions everything he says. Nor do I think it has any great import or meaning.

If I had it my way, we'd leave religion out of all of our government functions. Perhaps the idea of separation of church and state will eventually bring us to that point. But this has been the tradition for such a long time... I think it's fitting that the inauguration is sandwiched in between the invocation with Warren and the benediction with Rev. Lowery, whose views are quite the opposite from Warren on gay marriage and so on. Two opposite ends of the aisle!

Weekly Poll